Spicy Blueberry Cornbread

When blueberries went on supersale a little while back, I stocked up. I bought Lord knows how many pints, washed them and threw them in my freezer. That way they stay fresh and they're good to just throw in cereal or oatmeal, smoothies, or perhaps some Blueberry Lemonade, or shoot.... my cornbread batter! My spicy cornbread batter!

I normally make a sweet and spicy cornbread when I make it, so I knew this would work- it did. and it is deeeeelicious. I also needed a reason to use my new mini-bundt pan :-)



Spicy Blueberry Cornbread

1 pkg Jiffy cornbread mix
+ 1 egg, 1/3 cup milk
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 cup frozen blueberries tossed in flour (this keeps them from sinking to the bottom)

Preheat oven to 400*
Mix together the cornbread mix, egg, milk, and red pepper flakes.
Fold in the blueberries tossed in flour.
pour batter into a cupcake tin, or mini-bundt pan- your choice.
Bake at 400* for 15-20mins until top is golden brown.

Comments

  1. Looks delicious! One little tip for you, never wash your blueberries before you freeze them. I've been freezing berries for 25 years and that is a big no-no. It will make them form ice crystals. I rinse mine when it's time to use them. I pick at a local farm, so I know they are organic. I flash freeze them on a tray for an hour or two and then food vac them. If you don't have a food vac a freezer bag will do, but make sure you get all the air out. Flash freezing stop them from sticking together in the freezer. P.S Found you on Pinterst via your M&M cookie pie, which I'm going to make soon! When I blog it, I'll link back to you! Have a great day! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for your tip. :-) I should've noted that when I washed them I dried them completely and then froze them. No ice crystals for me!
      Hope you love the M&M cookie pie!
      *Susan

      Delete
  2. what a great recipe idea!! looks amazing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading, wont you leave me a little note? Comments make me feel special and cool.